Friday, March 17, 2006

MPAA lambasted at SXSW


Full Article courtesy of Powazek.com

Very interesting coverage of a SXSW panel gone off-rail which reinforces what I've been thinking about lately which is the massive business failure or soon-to-be at least that is DRM (Digital Rights Management)

Brief Glimpse:

Think about this: I can go to the store and buy a five inch reflective disc that holds digital media. If that disc is a music CD, I can pop it in my computer, encode it, put it on my iPod, and listen to it whenever I like. But if that disc is a movie DVD, I cannot, even though the same iPod is perfectly capable of playing the same digital content that I own just the same. (Oh, and by the way, Apple created a billion dollar industry in legal song downloading because of this. Where's the Apple Movie Store? Ask the MPAA.)



No comments: